Sherlock Case Study



Challenge:

The objective for this project was to animate a title sequence for the opening of a PBS show instead because I had already taking the class. The sequence needs to include the title of the show, and at least three credits, a 3D element from Cinema 4D is also required during the animation. The duration should be 30 seconds at a HD resolution of 1080/ 29 fps.

Research:

The hardest part was finding a show that not only interested me but would make for an interesting title sequence as well. For a while I wasn't sure but I finally after having a few suggestions from classmates I went with Sherlock. The first time I did this project I kept everything flat so this time I wanted to take advantage of being able to incorporate 3D into the animation. So watched a few 3D intensive animations so I can get inspired.

Storyboard:

I began to storyboard a rough outline of what exactly I wanted to with my title sequence. Since we had to include three different titles and the name, split mine up into four different animations to prevent the repetitiveness most sequences had.

 img002

Modeling:

After figuring out what went where it was time to find assets or in my case make them. This project required us to use at least one 3D modeled item using cinema 4d. So feeling confident in my 3d modeling skills, I decided I wanted to do most of in 3d because I felt not only would it be more of a learning stretch but also make a unique portfolio piece. For this project I had to model magnify glass, a pipe, A door  and the titles. Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 8.40.05 AM

Animation:

Now that all of my assets were modeled it was time to animate. Since the majority of my sequence was 3d I had to pipe line from cinema 4d to after effects. This meant animating in cinema and importing the models into after effects for finishing touches. This took up the majority of the time I spent on my project mainly because animating in cinema isn't something I've done intensively before but After a while I got the hang of it. Working from one program to another on the same project did required a lot of patience and time hence why I worked up to the last day.

Final Project:

Being able to take a subject that I wasn't to fond of towards the beginning and turning it into a movie quality title sequence was a rewarding process.